Senior/Staff Hardware Engineer
Kodama Systems is a growing, venture capital-backed technology company based in Sonora, CA. We are improving forest thinning operations and utilizing waste biomass to reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires. Kodama is looking for an experienced hardware engineer to own electro-mechanical systems. Ideal candidates enjoy the outdoors, problem-solving, and working with their hands. Please note that this role requires significant time on project sites in the Sierra Nevada mountain range of California.
- Ensuring robust hardware system designs
- Designing electrical enclosures, cable routing, power management, and thermal management for the machine’s compute and sensing
- Designing sensor shrouding for impact with trees and branches
- Characterizing and designing for high shock, vibration, and dust ingress
- Owning the company’s design database and supply chain
- Working with the Software Team to design & deploy hardware for autonomous vehicle operation, and working with the Operations Team to improve hardware based on feedback
- Developing and executing in-woods test plans
- Selecting and calibrating sensors for high reliability in outdoor operation
- Characterizing system-level metrics such as latency and connectivity
- Hiking and working in forested areas
- Following company safety protocols during testing and project implementation
- Willingness to work primarily in the Sierra Nevada Mountain range of California (specifically the Stanislaus and Eldorado National Forests)
- Experience troubleshooting electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic systems
- Linux and command line
- Extensive experience with CAD software such as SolidWorks, OnShape, or Inventor
- Fabrication experience
- Ability to design and build cable harnesses
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
Bonus Point Qualifications
- Autonomous vehicle experience
- Work on industrial machinery such as agriculture, defense, or mining
- Ethernet networking (e.g. IP configuration)
- Robot Operating System (ROS), Gazebo, and Bazel
- First Aid / CPR / first responder certifications
- Ability to speak Spanish
- Previous experience leading a hardware engineering team
Perks and Benefits
- Generous stock options. We’re an early-stage company and we want you to benefit from the financial upside.
- Flexible time off. We’re a small, flexible team. Work hard and take time off when you need it.
- Health insurance. Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family.
- Spend time in nature. This role enables you to spend time in national forests!
Note – due to the volume of inquiries, not all applicants will receive a response.