Senior/Staff Hardware Engineer
**Please note that this role requires significant time on project sites in the Sierra Nevada mountain range of California. For more context on this, see here.
Kodama is a growing, venture capital-backed technology company based in Sonora, CA. We are improving forest thinning operations to reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires and improve climate resilience. We're tackling this problem end-to-end by automating machinery, optimizing on-the-ground operations, and developing new methods of carbon storage.
We’re looking for an experienced hardware engineer to own our electro-mechanical systems and drive innovation and productization.
Ideal candidates have experience with autonomous systems and/or design for rugged environments and enjoy the outdoors, problem-solving, and working with their hands.
What You Will Do
- Design electrical enclosures, cable routing, power management, and thermal management for the machine’s compute and sensing. Ensure robust hardware system designs, designing for shock, vibration, and dust ingress
- Select and calibrate sensors for high reliability in outdoor operation. Design sensor shroudings for impact with trees and branches
- Work with the software team to design & deploy hardware for autonomous vehicle operation, and the operations team to improve hardware based on feedback
- Characterize system-level metrics such as latency and connectivity
- Own our design database and supply chain
- Develop in-woods test plans and follow company safety protocols during testing and project implementation
- Experience troubleshooting electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic systems
- Extensive experience with CAD software such as SolidWorks, OnShape, or Inventor
- Ability to design and build cable harnesses
- Fabrication experience
- Linux and command line experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
Bonus Point Qualifications
- Autonomous vehicle experience
- Work on industrial machinery such as agriculture, defense, or mining
- Ethernet networking (e.g. IP configuration)
- Robot Operating System (ROS), Gazebo, and Bazel
- First Aid / CPR / first responder certifications
- Ability to speak Spanish
- Previous experience leading a hardware engineering team
- Generous stock options. We’re an early-stage company and we want you to benefit from the financial upside.
- Flexible time off. We’re a small, flexible team. Work hard and take time off when you need it.
- Health insurance. Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family.
- Spend time in nature. This role enables you to spend time in national forests!
Note – due to the volume of inquiries, not all applicants will receive a response.